Pearson English Interactive, now in its second edition, is an award-winning course that has proven successful in both distant learning and hybrid learning contexts. It is the product of collaboration between authors, linguists, and technology designers.
Creating an online course that is both pedagogically valid and commercially viable is challenging. "Commercially viable" means "easy to sell" – that is, has "transparent value" to a range of stakeholders, During development, the course producers had to solve a number of problems?•
- What can distance learning courses provide that classroom courses can't?
- Why would a learner choose a distance learning course over a classroom course?
- What kind of technology problems come up with online distance learning?
- How much teacher support is needed? What problems can a lack of teacher support cause?
- How can distance learning affect motivation and engagement?
The challenge of designing an effective online course that is also commercially successful is to present valid content and methodlogy that is also compelling and "addictive" (in the technological sense = making the user want to come back as soon as possible.)
There are multiple features of the course design that address the initial challenges:
- Story based course delivered in video episodes
- Short tasks – usually 3-5 minutes – only; interactive exercises with immediate feedback
- Comprehensive treatment of skill development in individual components (listening, speaking, reading, writing, pronunciation, grammar, vocabulary) in each unit
- Comprehensive assessment program to enable teachers to track student work and progress.
- Classroom materials – communicative task based – to encourage hybrid learning model.
Pearson English Interactive, now in its updated 2.0 edition, is a four-level online course for busy adults to improve all skills and become better communicators in conversational American English. Designed by professional linguists, this engaging, comprehensive video-based story-driven course includes friendly instructional support and thorough assessment, and meets the diverse needs of adult learners to raise their level of English, achieve their goals and gain confidence in business, work, teaching, travel, or anywhere English is spoken.
Pearson English Interactive can be used on its own or in conjunction with a classroom course to provide students additional instructional hours, offering focused remediation in listening (top-down and bottom-up skills), speaking (role plays, using the video scenarios), pronunciation (using repetition of targeted expressions), and grammar (explaining all the key grammar points in the video lessons and giving extensive structured practice).
Updated videos have new scripts, scenes, cast, and look.
Integrated closed captioning at point of use.
Includes New CASAS Listening and Reading practice tests.
Personalizes instruction to each student’s needs – sends additional materials directly to students from within the system.
Saves time and reduces paperwork with automatic grading.
Tracks how students are improving at a glance.
Students' digital recordings and written work can be checked online, allowing more time for classroom interaction.
Integrated online placement test places students at the right level.
Allows for flexible management of teachers’ contact hours.
Great for Independent Students.
Students can practice anytime, anywhere.
Automatic grading gives students their results immediately.
Online practice provides interaction outside of the classroom in common situations in English.
Mapped to the Global Scale of English.